St Edmundsbury Cathedral Choir works to the highest standards to provide music for the majority of the services of the Cathedral. There is no cathedral choir school and the boys attend many different primary, middle and secondary schools, some travelling considerable distances to attend. The Lay Clerks are men who come from many different walks of life and are also all volunteers, and are joined by choral scholars, usually six form students at one of the local upper schools. The full choir sings four services a week, while the boys sing Evensong on Thursdays alone and rehearse most mornings before school. The Cathedral Choir also undertakes special services, diocesan visits, radio and television broadcasts, recordings and international tours, most recently to Italy. The choir was privileged to sing for Her Majesty The Queen at the Royal Maundy service in 2009, and sang for the Festival of the Sons of the Clergy in St Paul's Cathedral alongside the Choirs of St Paul's and Birmingham Cathedral in 2015. CDs of the choir are available to purchase in the Cathedral Shop.
We are always keen to hear from potential choristers, lay clerks and deputies.
Being a chorister at St Edmundsbury Cathedral is a once in a lifetime experience. Some of the benefits are:
- Free weekly singing lessons and graded exams
- Termly choir pay, variable upon achievement and attendance
- An invaluable musical education
- International Tours (recent tours have seen the choir visit Italy, Germany, Slovakia, Poland, Spain, Bulgaria, Romania, America and France)
- Trips within the UK (recent trips have seen the choir sing at the Sons of the Clergy Festival in St Paul’s Cathedral)
- The opportunity to sing for commercial recordings, BBC radio and television broadcasts
- The opportunity to sing for important concerts (the choir gives an annual performance of Messiah in December, and a concert each year for the Bury Festival)
- The opportunity to regularly sing great music to a high level in a beautiful building
- Acquire many non musical skills such as teamwork, self discipline and confidence
- The chance to make new friends
- Above all, singing in the Cathedral Choir is lots of fun!
Click below to view our Choral Opportunities Leaflet.