block-web

The Abbey

5
Established as a Benedictine foundation in 1020 by King Canute, the Abbey at Bury St Edmunds housed the body of the martyred King Edmund. For centuries pilgrims from throughout the world came to worship and the Abbey grew in strength and wealth. At the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in the 16th century, the Abbey was dismantled and fell into ruin. The current day Cathedral, St Mary’s Church, the Abbeygate and Norman Tower are all that remain of the mighty complex of church buildings that once stood alongside Angel Hill.